Our golf course has hosted multiple PGA, US Open qualifying, Juniors qualifying, and other men’s and women’s tournaments over the years. It is one of the few clubs in the section to host three Met Open tournaments. And there’s a reason for that. We have the most strategic golf holes and layout found amongst the many great courses on the south shore and have been titled the "longest short course on Long Island."
Woodmere's golf course underwent constant upgrading during its early years. What resulted was a low-lying marshland links of definite Scottish flavor, even though the numerous hazards were man-made. The Woodmere caddies of 1925 were trailblazers of sorts, being the first in the Met area to carry with them envelopes filled with grass seed to plant wherever divots were taken.
The golf course underwent a major facelift in 1949 when Robert Trent Jones was commissioned to build an entirely new back nine. That land had been purchased outright from the White family that same year.
A new seventeenth hole was built in 1952, again the direct result of a (smaller) land purchase, and the greenside bunkering, perhaps the distinguishing feature of the course, was remodeled in 1986-1987 by architect Brian Silva. After Hurricane Irene and Sandy, Woodmere bounced back with a newly renovation 4th/10th hole designed by Mike Nuzzo.
In 1982 The MGA appointed a panel to select a dream set of eighteen separate holes compiled from all of the courses in the Met Section. The MGA based their selections on simply criteria, hole difficulty, aesthetic, and overall uniqueness. The dream course included reputable clubs such as Shinnecock Hills, National Golf Links, Baltursol and Winged foot as well as Woodmere’s own 16th hole.
Our Current professional is John Gatta, and is joined by his assistants Ryan Zachry and Janice Metzler.